UCSC ADVISING NEWS (Winter 2012, Issue 9)
IN THIS ISSUE:
Final Exam Schedule: March 19-22
End of Winter 2012 Quarter: March 22
Winter Grades Due: March 27
Deadline to Pay Fees for Spring Quarter: March 21
Campus Closed: March 30 (Cesar Chavez Day)
Spring 2012 Quarter Begins: April 2
Student Success Tip of the Week: Study Tips for Finals Week
Upcoming Career Center Workshops & Events
—————————————————————FINAL EXAM SCHEDULE:
MON-THURS, MARCH 19-22
Finals are scheduled from Mon. March 19 - Thurs. March 22, 2012. Go to http://reg.ucsc.edu/soc/2122/final_exams.html - ExaminationDates
to see the schedule and learn about final exam policies. If you have two finals scheduled on the same day, adjust your study and prep time accordingly.
ACADEMIC RESOURCES FOR FINALS
Drop-in Writing assistance will be available on:
Sunday, March 18th from 12-6pm
Monday, March 19th from 3-6pm
Tuesday, March 20th from 3-6pm
Wednesday, March 21th from 3-6pm
All drop-in writing sessions will be held at the ARCenter, room 216
Students may sign up for one 30 minute an appointment slot by calling Learning Support Services at (831) 459-4333.
Drop-in Math tutoring for MATH 2, 3, 11A, 11B, 19A, 19B, 22, 23A, and 23B will be available at McHenry Library, room 1279 on:
Sunday, March 18th from 4-8pm
Monday, March 19th from 4-8pm
Tuesday, March 20th from 4-8pm
24-Hour Study Center
The ARCenter will be open continuously as a study center beginning Sunday, March 18th at 9:00am and remaining open through Wednesday, March 21st at 11:00pm. Regular hours will resume on Thursday, March 22nd. Free coffee will be available.
END OF WINTER QUARTER 2012: THURS, MARCH 22
This is the official last day of the Winter 2012 Quarter.WINTER 2012 GRADES DUE FROM INSTRUCTORS:
TUES, MARCH 27
You may begin checking your Winter 2012 grades on your student portal on Tues, March 27. Colleges will conduct academic standing reviews once grades are received. If you think you may fall below good academic standing after your winter grades are assigned, please check with your college academic adviser for important academic review information. DEADLINE TO PAY FEES FOR SPRING QUARTER 2012:
WED, MARCH 21
Registration fees for Spring 2012 are due on Wednesday, March 21. Your billing statement can be viewed under “Accounts & Billing” on your student portal. UCSC does not mail paper billing statements. To pay online, sign up for SallieMae e-pay. To be certain your payment is received on time, make your online payments by 2:00pm, Cashier’s Office drop-box payment (North side of Hahn Bldg) by 3:00pm and in-person payment in the Cashier’s Office by 4:00pm on March 21st. A late registration fee of $50 is assessed for late payments. For more information on billing and payment options, see: http://sbs.ucsc.edu/payments.html
. For information on Deferred Payment Plans, visit: http://sbs.ucsc.edu/dpp.html.
CAMPUS CLOSED: CESAR CHAVEZ DAY,
FRI, MARCH 30
The campus will be closed on Friday, March 30 for Cesar Chavez Day. Please keep in mind if you need to conduct any university business over the break. SPRING QUARTER 2012 BEGINS:
MON, April 2nd
Classes begin for Spring 2012 Quarter on Monday, April 2nd!STUDENT SUCCESS TIP OF THE WEEK: FINALS WEEK STUDY TIPS
Finals week is right around the corner!!! Are you ready??? Here are some tips that will help guide you through this week:
- Create a Plan of Attack: find out when your finals are going to be (you can reference the finals week schedule above) and if you have papers due, group projects to present, or tests to study for. Then plan when you are going to complete each course’s requirements.
- Break Down Your Plan: once you have your plan to tackle finals week, it may appear daunting and impossible. So break it down into smaller attainable goals. It can help to approach it one class at a time.
- Take Care of Yourself: your brain cannot function if you do not get enough sleep or eat well. Try to avoid pulling all-nighters to study for an exam. Drink lots of water and try to give yourself a little down-time amongst all your finals prep.
- Stay Motivated: you have worked hard all quarter and at the very end you might be feeling a lack of motivation to get through finals week. Remind yourself why you are here and what you want your degree to bring you when you achieve it. Finals week is the final sprint to the finish line, so don’t give up now.
- Should you need additional guidance or support during the end of quarter and finals week, please utilize your college advisers for assistance. They are there to help!
UPCOMING CAREER CENTER WORKSHOP & EVENTS
Wed, March 21: Meet the School Districts, 4:00pm-6:00pm @ Merrill College Cultural Center.
For more info, visit: http://careers.ucsc.edu/.